- Show us What You're Doing In order for us to see what you're doing at home and better instruct you, please have your phone, camera or laptop set up so you can show your teacher what you're working on. A tripod is a great investment so you can angle your camera phone better throughout the class. One like this works very well.
- Good Lighting Make sure you're in a well lit area that is not directly in front of a window.
- Don't be Shy We can better help you when you ask questions and interact with us. Also - these classes are meant to be social, as well as instructional. If you don't have a ton of background noise where you are, feel free to stay unmuted.
- Be Prepared Read the emails from the instructor prior to the class. Do the things they ask of you before class (print patterns, tape them together, watch the on helpful on demand videos) and you are bound to have an excellent at home sewing class experience.
- Have the Right Tools Each class has a specific supply list. But in addition to having all of those things for your class, it's helpful to have the following items close by: Iron, ironing board, sharp fabric scissors, paper scissors, all purpose dual duty polyester thread, different writing utensils (different fabrics require different marketing tools), ruler, measuring tape, safety pin or turning device, pins, pin cushion, seam ripper, hand sewing needle.
Adult Sewing Classes – Online With Live Instruction
Here are the steps M Avery Designs Sewing Studio will be taking to ensure each of our students in any of our studio sewing classes will remain safe & healthy:
- We will allow a maximum of 6 students in any of our studio sewing classes.
- Masks will be worn by all students and instructors while the class is taking place.
- In order to adhere to 6 feet of social distance, each student will have their own personal sewing space. See Studio Photo.
This will include access to their own personal sewing machine, as well as all their own personal sewing tools that are needed throughout their sewing class. Each student is welcome to bring their own tools and sewing machine if they choose.
- All of the surfaces and tools in the sewing studio will be thoroughly wiped down with Clorox bleach wipes following each class.
- Each student will have access to the bathrooms down the hall, but these are restrooms are maintained by the building where our studio resides.
- It is possible to get to our studio without using the elevator. It’s two flights up and you can access the stairs by following these directions:
- Enter the building from Monroe Street – the door to the right of the Shaka Bowl Entrance.
- Walk up the stairs located behind the elevator.
- On the SECOND floor, Walk around to the back of the stairs and make a right. Walk as if you’re headed to the corner of 7th street.
- In the South West corner of the building, you’ll see a set of stairs. Take these stairs up to the THIRD floor.
- Make a left and then a right and you’ll see our studio (Antique dress forms and sewing machine outside)
Skirt Pattern Drafting – Design Multiple Skirt Styles
Join us for our brand new one day intensive course on learning the art of flat pattern drafting. In this course you will learn how to create 3 different customized skirt patterns based on your measurements.
This course will include a thorough understanding of skirt flat pattern construction, dart construction, as well as simple adjustments that can be made to your patterns to add design elements to your sewing projects.
You’ll leave the class with basic fitted, a-line, & pencil skirt pattern that you can use over and over again to design & create your very own clothing. We will provide hand outs that outline the step-by-step process creating patterns for a perfectly fitting skirt.
Supplies Needed: None
1 Day – 4 Hour Course $139
Please note: There is no sewing in this course. The is an instructional class where we’ll be creating customized paper patterns during each class time. Each student will be encouraged to participate in our monthly Sew Clubs to create muslins of each of the patterns that you create in class and really customize your fit properly.
- About & Pricing
- Schedule & registration
Learn the fine art of flat pattern drafting in one of our upcoming 4 hour workshops.
Join us for Skirt Drafting where you'll learn how to draft the perfect customized skirt based on your exact body measurements.
Or join us for Bodice Drafting where you'll learn how to draft the perfect customized top or jacket based on your exact body measurements.
This course will include a thorough understanding of skirt or bodice flat pattern construction, dart creation & construction, as well as simple adjustments that can be made to your patterns to add design elements to your sewing projects.
You'll leave the class with basic fitted skirt or bodice pattern that you can use over and over again to design & create your very own tailored skirts, shirts, dresses and/or jackets. We will provide instructions that outline the step-by-step process creating patterns for a perfectly fitting customized skirt of bodice.
4 Hour Workshop: $155
Sign up for Both Pattern Drafting Classes for $255 - Go to schedule & registration tab, sign up for one class and you'll be prompted to add the second class for the reduced price. If for some reason the other date doesn't work for you, you can still purchase and we can have you join a different session. Just send us an email.
All Supplies Included
Please note: There is minimal sewing in this course. This is an instructional class where we'll be creating customized paper patterns during each class time. Each student is encouraged to participate in Sew Club to create muslins of each of the patterns that you create in class and really customize your fit properly.
"This class was amazing. It is jammed pack with all the informations you need to draft your own skirt. I feel completely confident adjusting any patterns I own to fit me properly. I wouldn't change a thing about the class. It was perfect! "
Christelle V. Hoboken NJ
"I just want to drop a note saying I loved the pattern drafting classes. I took both the skirt and bodice. Rachel was so knowledgeable, articulate and helpful. I learnt a lot and it was fun!!"
Lavanya - Hoboken NJ
"I just wanted to say how incredibly enlightening and awesome the bodice drafting class was today. I had a great time and feel like I've taken a major step forward in understanding how clothing works! Thank you for all your hard work."
Megan P - Hoboken NJ
Hand Embroidery Lab
- Schedule & Register
Learn how to do beautiful hand embroidery techniques like the ones described below.
No sewing experience is necessary to join this class.
Week 1: The Basics - Running Stitch, Back Stitch, Split Stitch, Stem Stitch, Chain Stitch & Whipped Back Stitch - We'll start a sampler to remember and have examples of all the foundation stitches.
Week 2: Decorative Stitches - Threaded Back Stitch, Pekinese Stitch, Blanket Stitch, Fly Stitch, Cross Stitch, Bead Stitch, French Knots & Satin Stitch.
Week 3: Lettering, Leaves & Flowers - Wagon Wheel Flower, Lazy Daisy Flowers & Leaves, Regular Fishbone Leaves, Raised Fishbone Leaves & Script Lettering.
All basic supplies for this class class are included in the class fee. We'll have embroidery needles, embroidery thread, linen fabric, writing utensils, embroidery hoops and more.
Price of 3 Week Workshop = $120
– – – – – – – – – – – – – –
If you'd like to purchase your own embroidery supplies so you can continue your work at home, here is what we recommend:
"I had never tried embroidery before and I have enjoyed the class immensely. It is fabulous to learn a new skill, meet new friends, and be creative! The classes are set up so you learn at your own pace and our instructor provided a lot of encouragement and ideas so you can really develop your own projects and turn them into a finished piece of art (wearable or displayable)."
Laura L. New York, NY
Home Decor Sewing Boot Camp
Learn the basics of sewing beautiful things for your home in our 6 Week Adult Sewing Class.
Students will focus on learning basic sewing skills used to make items for your home. We’ve designed a six week (15 hour) sewing class including challenging projects that will fill your home with gorgeous items you custom make yourself. This class is great for all levels of sewing. Beginners and intermediate stitchers alike will find themselves challenged and learning new things in this course.
Projects Options in this Class:
Please note: The number of projects you complete in the class will depend on how much experience you come to class with, how much work you do at home and in Sew Club & the pace that you work.
Week 1 Project: Custom Pillow Covers with zippers
- Breathe new life into any existing pillows you already own by creating custom covers that can be removed.
- Learn to measure fabric accurately & create a perfect fit for your pillow cover.
- Learn tips for cutting straight and with accuracy.
- Learn how to insert regular zippers and/or invisible zippers so you cannot see them on your pillow cover.
Week 2 Project: Bedroom Pillow Case with French Seams
- Review of cutting & measuring accurately.
- The magic of french seams.
Week 3 Project: Bolster pillow with piping and zipper
- Understanding and learning how to cut fabric on the bias.
- Learn to create your own matching piping.
- Mastering the technique of adding piping to any of your sewing projects.
Week 4 Project: Quilted Table Runner/Placemat/Potholder
- Introduction to patchwork.
- Working with quilt batting.
- Using a regular sewing machine to do small scale quilting work.
Week 5 Project: Pouf Floor Cushion
- Patchwork (non-square)
- Working with Interfacing
- Optional: Covered Buttons
Week 6 Project: Custom Curtain(s)
- Learning how to accurately measure windows.
- Learning appropriate curtain sizing for windows.
Cost of 15 Hour Workshop: $329
The price includes free Sew Club classes during AND one month past your beginner sewing boot camp classes. Sew Club is a great time to “makeup” anything you might have missed in a class, catch up on anything you fall behind on, or just sew whatever you’d like. There are no makeup classes if you miss a session. Cost of Sew Club is normally $20/class.
There is also the option of taking a private lessons to make up a missed class if you think you’ll need a bit more guidance. The rate for a private lesson while you are enrolled in a 6-week class is $40/hour (normally $65/hour).
Buy Now | Send email to schedule
Please note: Fabric is not included. Woven Fabrics are available for purchase at the M Avery Designs Studio for $12 per yard. Stretch Knit Fabrics are available for purchase at the M Avery Designs Studio for $16 per yard. We have a variety of types, colors & prints, but keep in mind we are not a fabric store. Students also have the option of purchasing fabrics elsewhere before the class. Details & amounts are below.
Fabric & Notions Needed:
Week 1: Zippered Pillow Covers
Approximately 1/2 Yard Quilters Cotton, Linen, Home Decor weight or something similar for each pillow up to 17″ Square. Zipper – Length should equal the width of your pillow. Optional: Pillow Form (size of your choice)
Week 2: Pillowcase Project
3/4 Yard Quilters Cotton for Body of pillow
1/4 Yard Quilter Cotton (matching other fabrics) for pillow cuff
1/4 Yard Quilters Cotton (matching other fabrics) for pillow band
Week 3: Bolster Pillow – Suggested Size 16″ x 6″
3/4 Yard Quilters Cotton, Linen, Home Decor weight or something similar for bolster pillow project.
1 Yard of cotton piping (1/2″ or 1/4″ thick will work) for bolster pillow project.
16″ Zipper for bolster pillow project
Week 4: Table Runner/Potholder/Placemat
At least four different fat quarter fabrics that go together. More if making large table runner or multiple placemats.
1 Yard of quilt batting. More if making large table runner or multiple placemats.
Week 5: Pouf Floor Cushion
Amounts coming soon.
Week 6: Curtains
Will talk about this in 1st class. Amount of fabric needed is based on your your window size and curtain design.
Sewing Separates Boot Camp
- About & Pricing
- Schedule & Sign Up
- Sew Club
Learn more advanced sewing skills to make clothing in our 6 week class!
Students will focus on learning basic sewing skills to construct 2-3 articles of clothing that actually actually fit your body. We've designed a six week (15 hour) sewing class that will take your skills to the next level and have you sewing a top, pants and unlined jacket.
As with all our sewing classes, all students work at their own pace and focus on learning new skills based on the skills they come to class with.
Some of the things you'll learn in this class:
- Taking your own body measurements.
- Review of seam allowance and why is it important?
- Review of threading & operating the sewing machine.
- Learning basic clothing construction.
- How to read a sewing pattern.
- Which patterns are right for me?
- What adjustments do I need to make?
- How do I take things in and let them out.
- How can I make this fit better?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Projects in this Class:
How many garments you complete in the class will depend on:
- How much experience you come to class with.
- How much work you do at home and in Sew Club.
- The pace you work.
Please note: Fabric is NOT included in the price of the class. Fabrics are available for purchase at the M Avery Designs Studio for $12 per yard. We have a variety of types, colors & prints, but keep in mind we are not a fabric store. Students also have the option of purchasing fabrics elsewhere before the class.
Fabric & Supplies Needed:
Top: 1.5 Yards of fabric. Fabric can be any lightweight woven fabrics, such as cotton, cotton voile, lawn, rayon, linen, or cotton blends.
Fitted Trouser Pants:
- 2 Yards of medium weight woven fabrics with some stretch, such as stretch cotton twill, poplin, suiting, gabardine, pique, wool blends.
- 8" or longer invisible zipper
Unlined Jacket: 3 Yards of medium weight woven fabrics, such as suiting, cotton, linen and linen blends, poplin, twill, silk dupioni, wool challis, gabardine, crepe.
Quick note about buying fabric - If you have no experience purchasing fabric, don't worry about buying any before the first class. We have plenty of selection for the first project that we sell for $12/yard. The instructor will go over what type of fabric for the following projects.
Please note: There are no makeup classes if you miss a class.
However - when you enroll in this boot camp class you get free Sew Club classes during AND one month past the end of your session. Sew Club is normally $20/class. Sew Club is a great opportunity to "make up" anything you might have missed in a class, catch up on anything you fall behind on, or just sew whatever you'd like.
Again - there are no makeup classes if you miss a session.
There is also the option of taking a private lessons to make up a missed class. The rate for a private lesson while you are enrolled in a 6-week class is $40/hour (normally $65/hour). Send an email if you'd like to schedule this.
Sewing Parties For Kids
- Details & Schedule
- Project Options
Please note: Currently only accepting parties for up to 6 kids.
The love of sewing and making creative projects with your hands starts at a young age! We'd love to host your birthday party (or any type of party) at our sewing studio!
At our sewing parties, boys and girls turning turning age 5-11 and their guests make adorable & fun projects they can take home and actually use and/or play with!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Our 2-Hour Party includes the following:
- Exclusive use of the M Avery Designs Sewing Studio for 2 hours.
- Your choice of one sewing project from the choices below (or make a custom request)All students make same project, but choose fabric and details (if applicable).
- 1.5 hour sewing lesson/activity for guests to learn to sew & complete the project they take home with them after the party.
- All supplies and instruction for all your guests.
- 1-2 instructors/party hosts. This depends on how many guests you have attending.
- 1/2 hour for food & birthday cake following the sewing activity.
Pricing is as follows:
- $300 for groups up to 6 guests
- $400 for 8 guests*
- $35 for each additional guest over 8 (up to 16 guests total)*
Please note: Currently only accepting parties for up to 6 kids.
Please note: At our sewing parties, our younger guests will use fabric cutting scissors, needles & thread, as well as the sewing machine (highly supervised) to stitch their project together!
You are welcome to bring in any food and drink for your party. There will be time between activities for pizza, cake, ice cream, etc. We can make recommendations of local vendors - Just ask.
Open for private parties during the week day, weekday evenings and weekend days & evenings. Just depends on availability.
Click here to make your $50 deposit to book a party
Contact us with questions or to find out availability.
Cancellation Policy: When you book your private party, you'll be charged a non-refundable deposit of $50. If cancellations are made within one week of your event date, you will be charged an additional $100 for loss of business.
Have something else in mind? Please feel free to suggest your own project and we'll see what we can do. We LOVE a theme party & to try out new projects, so let us know.
"My daughter had a wonderful birthday party at M. Avery Designs Sewing Studio. Sewing is a wonderful skill to possess and with instruction the children learn to do it confidently and without pressure. They leave with their creation and proud of their accomplishment. I highly recommend this studio!"
Joanne - Hoboken NJ
"Megan organized the best sewing birthday activity for my 6 year old daughter and her 2 older brothers and cousin. They pinned, cut out patterns and each sewed their own messenger bags. Watching each child select their fabrics and learn how to operate a sewing machine was such fun. All of the kids, ranging in age from 6-16, had a fantastic time!Megan is a calm, organized instructor and great facilitator. We also purchased a sewing machine from her and she did all the initial set up so that all we had to do was come home and plug it in! Saved us a day of manuals and frustration!Quoting my daughter, "this was the best day ever!"
Pam - Hoboken NJ
"M Avery Designs is authentic fun! The kids (in our case, ages 6-13) thoroughly enjoyed creating a cute stuffed animal. The instructors are thoughtful in their presentation of the activity and keeps the pace going with tracing, cutting, sewing, and stuffing! The results were adorable!"
Stacy - Jersey City NJ