Resources for Sewing At Home
At Home Sewing Lessons
Learn how to sew online from one of our talented instructors by using zoom video.
Sewing Machine Basics Video Course
Same things you learn in our studio SMB, but taken at home on a series of videos.
Paper Plate Weaving
Have you wanted to learn how to weave, but thought it might be too hard?
I'm here to tell you, anyone, SERIOUSLY ANYONE, can do paper plate weaving.
And all you need is some paper plates and your yarn stash 🧶(that you haven't touched since you gave up on learning how to crochet).
Megan just made a little video breaking down the steps to making an adorable round 8" weaving project.
If you'd like to see more videos like this one, just click here.
We've got a bunch and we're always adding new ones.
Megan’s Favorite Tools for Hand Sewing & Embroidery at Home 🧵 ✂️
* Bigger grocery stores & pharmacy's usually carry variety packs of hand sewing needles.
* Don't be afraid to use old clothing, sheets, towels, blankets, etc. for fabric!
* Old pillows are perfect for recycling the stuffing inside for our sewing projects.
Sew Face Masks
Instructions to Make Masks:
Cut your fabrics. 2 pieces measuring - 9"wide x 6" tall for adults
- 7.5" wide x 5" tall for kids
Also cut two 7" pieces of elastic cord (make knots at the end) or thin (1/8") flat elastic.
Sew one end of one elastic to one corner of one of your fabrics (doesn't matter which one). Backstitch across it a couple of times. Stretch it across the shorter side and sew the other end to the other corner. Backstitch across it a couple or times.
Do the same with the other piece of elastic on the other side of the fabric.
Place your remaining fabric piece on top so right sides are touching. Pin the two pieces together.
Sew around the entire thing using 1/2" seam allowance, but leave a 4" opening on the bottom to turn it right side out.
Turn the whole thing right side out and tuck in the raw edges.
Secure the opening with pins .
Make 3 small pleats in each side and secure with pins.
Using 1/4" seam allowance sew around the entire edge twice.
Couple things to keep in mind when sewing your masks:
- Use tightly-woven cotton fabric for both layers of fabric.
- If you don't have actual fabric to make, clean cotton button down shirts work.
- Please remember that both women and men, as well as boys and girls may wear these masks.
- Pre-wash your fabric, if you can.
- Sew them sturdy, people! Don't forget to backstitch!
- For patterns and instructions on making masks, see above.
Megan’s Favorite Tools for Machine Sewing at Home
Since we wont be together to sew in the studio for awhile, I wanted to put together my must-haves for at home sewing. These products are all great for beginners. I chose them because they're decent quality tools for people just learning how to sew and not crazy expensive. I also chose them because they're available for quick shipping on Amazon Prime so you can get started ASAP.
Please note: These machines come with everything you need to get started sewing besides scissors, thread and fabric.
Blind Hem Stitch Hand Sewing Demonstration
Hand Sew a Felt Vintage Camper
In this quick sewing tutorial video, Megan shows you how to hand sew this adorable vintage camper from felt.
- Blue Felt Sheet
- Pink Felt Scrap
- Yellow Felt Scrap
- Black Felt Scrap-
- Embroidery Hoop-
- Embroidery floss- Scissors
- Large eyed embroidery needle