About Beginner Sewing Boot Camp
Let us teach you the basics of sewing in 6 (super fun) classes!
This class can be taken in our studio OR at At Home with Live Video Instruction.
The Beginner Sewing Bootcamp is 15 hours of sewing classes in total divided up between weekly sessions.
As a student, you will likely complete 4 sewing projects in this class.
All students will receive complimentary PDF copies of our patterns instructions for each of the projects we work on in class.
In Studio vs. At Home Live Video Instruction
This class is being offered as a live class in our studio, as well as a video class with live instruction online.
Students taking this class in our studio will follow along with the instruction being taught by the instructor in the studio. In order to follow our pandemic studio protocol, as well as minimize movement in the studio studio students will have the opportunity to access the video feed to have closer views of the instructor teaching in the studio. Students will of course be able to ask questions and interact with the instructor.
Each student in the studio will have a reserved cutting table & sewing station with all the tools within reach. Studio students will have access to the video recordings to watch in between classes.
Students taking the class via Live Video Instruction will receive an email from us regarding your login instructions. You'll also receive access to a password protected personalized web page for the class. This page will include patterns, links to recorded videos of you class and helpful On Demand Videos for an optimal sewing experience at home. Students will of course be able to ask questions and interact with the instructor through video software.
Weekly Class Schedule
In this class you'll learn the following specific concepts and skills each week:
- Intro to the sewing machine and basic sewing
- Learning to thread and operate the sewing machine properly
- Basic accessory construction
- Right side vs. wrong side of fabric
- Working with interfacing
- Properly sewing a button
- Topstitching techniques
Project: Envelope Clutch Bag
- Revew of sewing machine usage
- mastery of threading and filling the bobbin on the sewing machine
- mastery of basic accessory design and construction
- Constructing and turning straps right side out
- Introduction to bag gussets
- Working with a lining
Project: Messenger Bag
- Working with sewing patterns and tutorials
- Construction of pockets.
- Making ties
- Creating something that is reversible
Project: Reversible Chef Apron
- Following sewing tutorial instructions to make sewing projects
- introduction to garment fit
- Hemming basics on a straight hem
- making a buttonhole
Project: Continue Reversible Chef Apron
- Continue work on following sewing tutorial instructions to make sewing projects
- More work on garment fit
- Sewing curves
- Introduction to working with a zipper
- Constructing your first fitted garment.
- Working with facings
- Hemming on the curve
Project: Continue A-Line Skirt
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Please Note: The Number Of Projects You Complete In Any Of Our Series Classes Depends On A Few Things:
1.) If You Come To Class Each time. This One Is BIG! If You Miss A Class Or Classes, You Probably Will Not Finish All Your Projects.
2.) How Much Work You Do At Home In Between Classes. Sewing at home between classes is not required.
3.) Your Experience Coming Into The Class & The Pace That You Work.
Supplies for this class are not included.
If you'd like to purchase all supplies from us - click here.
If taking the class at the studio, supplies can be purchased at the first class.
If taking the class at home and you do not live locally, you must purchase supplies from us online at least 1 week prior to the start date of the class. Supplies will be mailed to you. If you live close to studio, arrangements can be made to pick up supplies from the studio. You must purchase supplies at least 2 days prior to the class start.
Envelope Clutch Bag:
- 1/2 yard cotton, denim or upholstery fabric for outside
- 1/2 yard cotton fabric for lining (not satin please)
- 1/2 yard heavy interfacing
- 1 yard cotton, denim or upholstery fabric for outside
- 1 yard cotton fabric for lining (not satin please)
- 1/2 yard heavy interfacing
Reversible Chef Apron:
- 1 yard of cotton or canvas fabric for outside
- 1 yard of cotton or canvas fabric for lining
Zippered A-Line Skirt
- 2 yards (45″ wide) cotton, canvas or linen fabric
- 8" zipper (or longer)
Be the first to know!
Subscribe to our mailing list to hear about all our new classes, events and sewing studio news!