About Bag Lab
Ever wanted to learn how to design and create your very own handbags, totes & purses? This class will show you how. You'll learn all the design & sewing secrets behind making your own bags with all the pockets, zippers & straps you can dream up!
We'll be making a
- Zippered cosmetic bag
- Reversible shopper tote
Please note: The number of projects you complete in the class will depend on how much experience you come to class with, how much work you do at home & the pace that you work.
In this 3 week workshop you'll learn the following:
- How to construct the bag exterior & lining using different shape variations.
- How to work with different materials including interfacings, different weights of bag making fabrics, even some faux leather & faux suede.
- How to add pockets (zippered, open, flaps, etc) where you want them.
- Techniques for different types of closures (zippers, snaps, buttons, velcro, etc.)
- Adding straps & handles.
Supplies Needed for Bag Lab:
Please note, supplies for this class are not included.
If you'd like to purchase supplies from us click here.
If taking the class at home and you do not live locally, you must purchase supplies 1 week prior to the start date. Supplies will be mailed to you.
Zippered Cosmetic Bags (2 sizes)
- 1/2 yard of of lightweight cotton (quilters cotton) for bag outside
- 1/2 yard of of lightweight cotton (quilters cotton) for bag lining
- 2 Regular Zippers (not invisible) at least 14” long
Reversible Shopper Tote
- 3/4 yard of cotton fabric or something similar for bag outside
- 3/4 yard of cotton fabric or something similar for bag lining
- 1 yard of cotton, denim or upholstery fabric for outside of backpack and straps
- 18” long zipper (or longer) for backpack
- 12” long zipper (or longer) for backpack pocket
- Two 1” wide D-rings
- Two 1” wide slide buckles
In Studio Instruction vs. At Home Live Video Instruction
This class is being offered as a live class in our studio, as well as a video class with live instruction online.
Students Taking This Class in Our Sewing Studio will follow along with the instruction being taught by the instructor in the studio. In order to follow our pandemic studio protocol, as well as minimize movement in the studio studio students will have the opportunity to access the video feed to have closer views of the instructor teaching in the studio. Students will of course be able to ask questions and interact with the instructor.
Each student in the studio will have a reserved cutting table & sewing station with all the tools within reach. Studio students will have access to the video recordings to watch in between classes.
Students taking the class At Home via Live Video Instruction will follow along with the instruction being taught by the instructor on the video. The class will be taught with two camera views, on on the instructor talking and anything done away from the sewing machine. The other camera will be on the sewing machine and action taking place there.
Once you sign up for an will receive an email from us regarding your login instructions. You'll also receive access to a password protected personalized web page for the class. This page will include patterns, links to recorded videos of you class so you can re-watch if you choose. It will also include helpful On Demand Videos for an optimal sewing experience at home. Students will of course be able to ask questions and interact with the instructor through the video software while the live instruction is taking place. .
Be the first to know!
Subscribe to our mailing list to hear about all our new classes, events and sewing studio news!